Friday, 4 January 2008

Fancy a cockroach?

Article from http://www.whyandhow.org/cn/info/227432/history-story.shtml

TRANSLATION OF THE TEXT ABOVE:

Although we hate cockroaches, there are 3 major cockroach contribution to certain industries:

1) Information from universities/colleges
- Cockroach as important bait in some marine industry. Certain breed of expensive fishes (I don't know what are the names translated into english) but EXPENSIVE FISHES that are selling in pet shops... need these highly nutritious cockroaches. Let's take an example in Hong Kong: every KG of cockroaches are selling for 120 -150 dollars! wow... these irritating smelly little creatures are treasures running on streets,

2) Information from marketing/advertising sectors:
- A well known German biologist (sorry I can't translate that name as well... I'm just bad in translating english names that are translated into chinese words back to english again) found a way to remove cockroach's weird odour and toxic (toxic?) is by soak it in wine for around 24 hours, deep fried with butter, and finallly add a layer of chocolate(chocolate fondue with cockroach? Eww.....). There has been a recipe book of cockroach deep fried, cockroach biscuits, cockroach coffee, cockroach healthy cereal porridge etc etc. According to this professor, cockroach is rich in protein.

I think the author is David George Gordon. interested in getting the recipe go have a look for urself http://www.abebooks.co.uk/docs/Cookbooks/david-george-gordon.shtml

3. Cockroach as medicine
-From the past few hundred years ago cockroach has been used as medicine and were recorded in various books. Cockroaches are believe to help with blood circulation (reducing bruises), anti-toxification, and in Japan scientist believe certain chemicals in cockroach may help with Alzheimer prevention


Finally, I only know one cockroach food fact before reading this article:
In Thailand there is this chili paste called something 'Nam Prik Mang Da...' something like that, which is a unique chili that is only nice with cockroach ingredients inside as cockroaches give that unique taste into it. Not as disgusting as what u'll think when u taste it once.

Proves another what we think as worthless creature a treasure somewhere...

Opps... I was initially going to find recipe on 'how to get rid cockroach smell in my new moved in cupboard...'

CONCLUSION:
Cockroach are mainly use as food; whether it is for animals or human beings

No comments: