Wednesday, 31 January 2007

Rambling again on something everyone knows a long time ago...

Yesterday walking past college, nearby a bus stop in the evening.

A group of college students, 4 girls and a guy walking by the bus stop. A man walking in front of them, he seems to be a foreign worker, assuming from Indonesia or Burma or some other countries. The group of students are chatting and laughing, and out of sudden the man turn a little to look at one of the girls.

I am walking by the group side, guessing that maybe he could be misinterprete the laughter as insult, since the girl keep pointing into a front direction and making some gestures. Well since I could understand mandarin I know they are not talking about the guy infront of them.

The man walk and a few times turn back to look at the group, with an annoyed expression. The girl noticed him and stopped, and the few group realised what happen. They all paused there, and kept a little distance between themselves and the man thinking something bad might happen if they are too close to him.

This man was frustrated and seeing them pause, he turn back and shrugged. The guy in the group immediately stood infront of the girls, protecting them and gesture him away. The man was angry, I guess he could feel that he was being discriminated and he meant no harm. He misunderstood the 'protective attitude' as everyone assume he's a criminal, while the group misunderstanding his possibility of attacking them. He raised his voice, asking what's his problem was, and the group quickly walk away from him.

I stood aside staring out at the busy road, one short moment, people walking past and it seems like nothing had ever happened. The angry man sat inside the bus stop, furious and annoyed, and I have to look over the other side since a glance at him could made any further misunderstanding.

Come to realise that much foreign workers come to Malaysia to work, to earn Ringgit that is probably of higher currency rate and would make more earnings and working opportunities as compare to their hometown. They take over lots of work in our country, the ladies in domestic home helping, or stalls for the business. While men having jobs that much Malaysians would not be willing to do such as Hygenic workers(that helps collect rubbish), hard tough jobs in constructions and many more.

With recent years of cases such as bag snatch by motorcyclists, robbery, rape, thieving, prostitution, much blame on each other. Some blame over these foreign workers. Some says they are of no good around. I don't know, I believe not all the blames are on them, but certain locals as well. Like sometimes it stuck my mind thinking could it be of what they do clash with out cultures and causing misunderstanding? I do hate it sometimes when some of the workers thinking they have nothing much to do and keep calling the girls walking pass:'Ah moi Ah moi! Eh cantik...' or whistling getting the passerby's attention. They could mean no harm and thinking that they are entertaining themselves while complimenting the girls, but Malaysians are not often like that. Mostly are conservatives and they don't like strangers' compliment. Due to the increase rate of crime many avoid strangers affraid of becoming a victim of robbery or thieving out of their courtesy wanting to help. So in order to avoid trouble caused, many choose not to interfere too much with strangers. Sad but, self protecting. Well, safety first.

Seems like never ending misunderstanding, unintentionally/intentionally discrimination, greed, selfishness(such as crime in robbery just to satisfy himself in a quick and effective way if he can run away from it). Since there are rich, it must be balance by poor. Although perfection will never be achieve, who knows why this world is made like this? Maybe this could be a better way or the best the creator could do.

Ignore me. I'm just born yesterday. I always do.

No comments: